Sorry, now sold out. The Fantastic Menagerie Tarot — standard deck, second edition with cold-stamping. Wooden box.
- Regular Price
- Sale Price
- Regular Price
- Unit Price
- translation missing: en.general.accessibility.unit_price_separator
These are now sold out.
The Fantastic Menagerie Tarot was originally published by us in 2006, but has been out of print for many years. After many (many) requests, and as we feel that our ability to add cold-stamping now brings a whole new visual level to the cards, we are making a splendid second edition. Everything is made in Europe as we don't send any files to countries that have a record of poor legislation on counterfeiting. This helps to protect your deck from being copied.
Lively, humorous and utterly engaging, The Fantastic Menagerie Tarot is based on the illustrations of 19th century French illustrator, J.J. Grandville. Known as the "Father of Surrealism", Grandville was a huge influence on artists such as Tenniel, the first illustrator of Alice in Wonderland (and also a huge influence on Baba Studio of course!). His pictures are cynical, funny, bitter and sweet - and make for a deck that manages to be both timeless and true.
The last two pictures here show some of the cards photographed at an angle, so that you can see the illustrations, and then straight on, so that you can see the cold-stamping. In person the cold-stamping will tend to "flash" into sight and out again as you move the cards in the light - this gives an almost dynamic effect.
- 78 fully-illustrated scenic cards based on Rider Waite Smith (RWS) tarot pattern.
- The cards are a generous size - 128*78mm (about 5 inches by 3 inches).
- Challenging, witty images that invite you to use your imagination and intuition.
- The images are taken from our original books. Our Les Métamorphoses du Jour book is an original from 1847, with hand-coloured imagery. This helps to give our images their fantastic, detailed quality.
- Painstakingly cold-stamped. We use subtle cold-stamping throughout the whole image - this makes the card "flash" with metallic colours when the light hits it.
- Printed in Europe on high-quality German-made 330 gram playing card stock with a carbon inner layer to protect against bending and creasing.
- Lightly varnished for durability without a plastic feeling - the finish is fairly matte.
- Sturdy hinged wooden box for long-term storage. These boxes are made by hand in Czech Republic and are designed by us specially for the deck.
- Booklet with meanings and guide for use.
We also have optional items listed separately. These include:
- Extensive and highly-illustrated full companion book (extensively changed for this edition) with coloured card illustrations!
- Limited edition Fantastic Managerie Tarot bags — with prints from the cards and with high-quality silk velvet. To get 20% off a bag when ordered with a deck, please enter this code at checkout (only one discount code can be used at checkout):