The Mythical Creatures - gilded and water-coloured. Standard edition - slight box faults.
- Regular Price
- Sale Price
- Regular Price
- Unit Price
- Translation missing: en.general.accessibility.unit_price_separator
These decks are now sold out - apologies if you didn't manage to get one.
We’ve had lots of enquiries so we are selling our “put aside for now” decks. They have minor faults in the boxes - these are mostly very slight but when the boxes are closed, there is a small gap, rather than a tight closure.
We are adding a free drawstring bag (choice of two different Mythical Creatures bags while stocks last - please see pictures). This can be used as alternative storage.
There are only about 30 of these decks, spread between our two shops.
We know that many people have been looking for a deck and we don't have many, so please accept our apologies in advance if you don't manage to grab one.
We have decided to charge more than the original price, but they are considerably less than the market price.
Please note that the companion book is completely sold out.
This is the standard format "water-colour" version of The Mythical Creatures Tarot. The deck has been in process since - wait for it! - August 2005 - so we wanted it to be an exceptional piece.
The images are painstakingly drawn in pen and ink by the brilliantly-talented Russian artist, Lena Kozachuk, with a great deal of input and image editing by Alex Ukolov. It's been a real partnership, with both enhancing the skills of the other. Karen Mahony designed the concept and structure of the deck. The water-colouring was done by Irish artist Geraldine Woessner, working in close co-operation with Karen and Alex.
For clarity, please note that the original drawings have been water-coloured, and then we have printed from these originals - i.e. we have not hand-painted every deck! (we know you know this, but best to be very clear).
The deck is based on a variety of magical and fascinating creatures from world mythology, ranging from the familiar, such as the unicorn and the giant, to the less known, like the Irish Amadán and the strange, conjoined alchemical Rebus.
This is an open edition, although it is definitely not mass-market and there will never be a large quantity of these decks printed.
Please note that the first pictures are of the actual deck that you will receive. However, the later pictures (of individual cards) are done from graphics and do NOT show the cold-stamping.
- Short run as this is not a mass-market deck.
- 78 fully-illustrated cards, 128 * 78 mm (about 5 * 3 inches) plus a title card (79 cards in all).
- One extra card - a scenic and beautiful Three of Cups. This is our gift because of the original delay in printing the deck. It can be used for display or perhaps as a bookmark.
- "Metallic ink overlay" - in fact, this is actually put under the varnish, so it does not wear off. It's also technically a plastic so does not cause any metal sensitivities when handled (we have been asked this so hope this clarifies).
- Majors and Courts each have an illustration of a mythical creature. Minors ("pips") have highly decorative illustrations and show the suit symbols.
- A few minor adjustments from the monotone deck - there are no major changes besides the colouring.
- Printed in Europe on high-quality 330 gram playing card stock with a carbon inner layer to protect against bending and creasing.
- Lightly varnished for durability without a plastic feeling - the finish is very matte so that there is a great contrast between the general finish and the cold-stamped areas.
- Sturdy hinged box for long-term storage. The second edition box is gold-foiled and is a new design.
- Booklet with meanings and guide for use.