The Mythical Creatures - gilded and water-coloured. Standard edition. PRE-ORDER.
This is a pre-order for the standard format "water-colour" version of The Mythical Creatures Tarot. The deck has been in process since - wait for it! - August 2005 - so we want it to be an exceptional piece.
The images are painstakingly drawn in pen and ink by the brilliantly-talented Russian artist, Lena Kozachuk, with a great deal of input and image editing by Alex Ukolov. It's been a real partnership, with both enhancing the skills of the other. Karen Mahony designed the concept and structure of the deck. The water-colouring was done by Irish artist Geraldine Woessner, working in close co-operation with Karen and Alex.
We expect shipping to start in November 2019. All items ordered with a pre-order will be sent at the same time when the deck is available. If you would like to have any items sent earlier, please place them in a separate order.
For clarity, please note that the original drawings have been water-coloured, and then we have printed from these originals - i.e. we have not hand-painted every deck! (we know you know this, but best to be very clear).
The deck is based on a variety of magical and fascinating creatures from world mythology, ranging from the familiar, such as the unicorn and the giant, to the less known, like the Irish Amadán and the strange, conjoined alchemical Rebus.
This is an open edition, although it is definitely not mass-market and there will never be a large quantity of these decks printed.
Please note that as the deck is in progress the pictures here are mock-ups, though they do give the most accurate impression of the deck that we can manage at this point. The final look may change and we think the card backgrounds are likely to be more ivory/parchment than the white shown. There will also be cold-stamping (a metallic effect), which we can't shown in mock-ups. We will add more images as soon as possible.
- Short run as this is not a mass-market deck.
- 78 fully-illustrated cards, 128 * 78 mm (about 5 * 3 inches) plus a title card (79 cards in all).
- "Metallic ink overlay" - in fact, this is actually put under the varnish, so it does not wear off. It's also technically a plastic so does not cause any metal sensitivities when handled (we have been asked this so hope this clarifies).
- A few minor adjustments from the monotone deck - there are no major changes besides the colouring.
- Printed in Europe on high-quality 320 gram playing card stock with a carbon inner layer to protect against bending and creasing.
- Lightly varnished for durability without a plastic feeling - the finish is very matte so that there is a great contrast between the general finish and the cold-stamped areas.
- Sturdy hinged box for long-term storage. The second edition box is gold-foiled and is a new design.
- Booklet with meanings and guide for use.
We also have optional items listed separately. These include:
- Extensive and highly-illustrated companion book with coloured card illustrations!
- Limited edition Mythical Creatures Tarot bags — with prints from the cards and with high-quality silk velvet. For 20% off these bags, please use this code at checkout:
Please note again that this is a pre-order - we expect the deck to ship in November.
FAQs on coupons and pre-orders.
Please work out which discount is best for you (you can always save your reward points for another order or a free treat.)
Is there a companion book?
Yes. There is a full companion book available separately. We sell the books separately as we find that some people (for example, non English speakers) would rather buy without a book.
What other Mythical Creatures items will be available?
With our Limited Editions we guarantee never to reprint that edition. So once the decks are gone, no more will ever be printed. It's that simple. We have never reprinted a Limited Edition deck, and never will.
With a "small-run" open edition deck, we aren't printing nearly as many as a mass-market deck but we reserve the right to reprint in the future. It doesn't mean we definitely will reprint, but we might and so an open edition is NOT limited.